Tuesday, November 4, 2014

2015 Mount TBR Reading Challenge




Another year and still my bookaholic status remains unchanged. Despite the fact that I will have knocked over 100 books off of my 2014 Mount TBR by the end of December, there are still whole mountain ranges waiting to be conquered. 
 

So, once again, I plan to concentrate on reading primarily from my own books in the coming year. And you're invited to join me in knocking out some of those books that have been waiting in the wings for weeks....months...even years.

Challenge Levels:

Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s

Mount Blanc: Read 24 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Vancouver: Read 36 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Ararat: Read 48 books from your TBR piles/s
Mt. Kilimanjaro: Read 60 books from your TBR pile/s
El Toro: Read 75 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Everest: Read 100 books from your TBR pile/s

Mount Olympus (Mars): Read 150+ books from your TBR pile/s

And the rules:
*Once you choose your challenge level, you are locked in for at least that many books. If you find that you're on a mountain-climbing roll and want to tackle a taller mountain, then you are certainly welcome to upgrade.  All books counted for lower mountains may carry over towards the new peak.

*Challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2015.

*You may sign up anytime from now until November 4th, 2015.

*Books must be owned by you prior to January 1, 2015. No ARCs (none), no library books. +++Amended Rule: Rereads may count only in the following circumstances: If you did not own the book when you read it long ago and far away [based on your age, you can decide what that might mean--definitely not within the last five years...my arbitrary pick for a limit] and you bought the book pre-January 1, 2015 intending to reread it now that it's your very own.  [To clarify--the intention is to reduce the stack of books that you have bought for yourself or received as presents {birthday, Christmas, "just because," etc.}. Audiobooks and E-books may count if they are yours and they are one of your primary sources of backlogged books.]



*You may count any "currently reading" book that you begin prior to January 1--provided that you had 50% or more of the book left to finish in 2015.  I will trust you all on that.


*You may count "Did Not Finish" books provided they meet your own standard for such things, you do not plan to ever finish it, and you move it off your mountain [give it away, sell it, etc OR remove it from your e-resources]. For example, my personal rule (unless it's a very short book) is to give a book at least 100 pages. If I decide I just can't finish it and won't ever, then off the mountain it goes and I count it as a victory--the stack is smaller!  

*Books may be used to count for other challenges as well.

*Feel free to submit your list in advance (as incentive to really get those books taken care of) or to tally them as you climb.


*There will be quarterly check-ins and prize drawings!


*A blog and reviews are not necessary to participate. If you have a blog, then please post a challenge sign up and link THAT post (not your home page) into the linky below. Non-bloggers, please leave a comment declaring your challenge level--OR, if you are a member of Goodreads, I will once again put together a group for the challenge there. Feel free to sign up HERE.  At the beginning of the year, I will once again have a sidebar link for called Mount TBR Review Headquarters for 2015 reviews and progress updates.









31 comments:

Unknown said...

Just signed up for 24 books...mt blanc
Book list here
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/16141901-zaara?shelf=2015-mount-tbr

Gehna said...


Hey, I signed up for Mt Blanc (24 books). I was recommended by Zaara, and eagerly waiting for the Goodreads link :)

This is my book shelf..

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/15947944-gehna?shelf=2015-mountain-ch


Thanks :D

Unknown said...

I'm in for the Pike's Peak Challange. My self can be found here

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2028876?shelf=2015-mount-tbr-challenge

Henriette Olesen said...

i'm in the pike's Peak challenge. you can find my list here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/15966338?shelf=2015-mount-tbr-challenge

Anonymous said...

Hey there! :)
I've just signed up for the Mt. Vancouver of your reading-challenge and I think it's such a lovely idea. I really hope that it will help me get through my tbr-shelf a little faster.

Here's my shelf in advance - It's not nearly complete, but I'm working on it. :)

Best wishes,
Isa.

Anonymous said...

I have signed up for the 12 book level, hoping to move up later in the year. I have a major addiction to the library, though.

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome, all! Glad to have you climbing with me in 2015!

Tiffani said...

I just signed up. I'm aiming to make it up Mt. Vancouver at least.

Nikki in Niagara said...

Question before I sign-up. You say no re-reads, that all books must be bought (or gifted) with the intention of us reading them. Well, I have tons of books I have bought for myself that I read as a child intending to read them again with hindsight 30+ years later. I haven't actually read the copies I own. Can they count?

Becky K said...

I'm in for Mt. Vancouver... (Though I think I have enough waiting on my shelf for Mount Olympus!)

Tracey said...

Just signed up and posted my link above. Really looking forward to it.

Bev Hankins said...

Nicola: Sorry I didn't see your comment sooner. Hmmm. Tricky question that. This is the second time I've been asked about books read long ago and far away...Okay. [I will amend the rules above and on the Good reads site.]

If you did not own the book when you read it long ago and far away (based on your age, you can decide what that might mean--definitely not within the last five years...my arbitrary pick for a limit] and you bought the book pre-January 1, 2014 intending to reread it now that it's your very own, then, yes, it may count.

Bev Hankins said...

January 2015...that's what I meant.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This is my first time participating in the Mount TBR challenge. I'm going for Pike's Peak but I hope to increase that...hopefully.

Looking forward to this next year! :)

JaneGS said...

I've heard about this challenge in the past and never signed up although it is perfect for me. Gotta read from the shelves to make room for new books!

Anonymous said...

Signed up for Pike's Peak!

Tanya @ Moms Small Victories said...

I signed up for Pike's Peak. I look forward to climbing Mt TBR with you all!

Kerrie said...

I'll commit to Pike's Peak for now but hopefully will find that a doddle

fredamans said...

I aim to not do so crap this year. I even chose the lowest level, Pike's Peak, just to be sure.

Marj said...

Just saw the amended rules--yay!! Does is count if they are kids books? When I was a young teen (long, long ago and far away)I read several Nancy Drew mysteries from the library (all they had)and I've been meaning to re-read them--in fact, over several years I searched out all of the Nancy Drew mysteries (I think). I planned to someday start with #1 and work my way through them to the end--this may be the year!

Bev Hankins said...

Marj: Children's and Young Adult books absolutely count. I've never had an age or page limit. If it's been published as a book, it counts.

Masanobu said...

I'm signing up for Pike's Peak for now, and will see whether I can also climb Mount Blanc later in the year!

Thanks for hosting such a helpful challenge! :)

A. Rivera said...

Thanks for hosting. I tried this in 2013 and failed, took a break last year. Trying again this year (after all, the TBR shelves are not getting smaller). So, here we go. As always, also love to see what other things people read.

Best, and keep on blogging and reading.

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome back, Angel! Good luck with the climb this time.

Karen K. said...

Aaack!! I accidentally posted a link to a book review on the sign-up page -- Karen K @ Books and Chocolate (Mary Poppins). Can you delete it? Sorry for the inconvenience!

Karen K. said...

I figured out how to delete it. Sorry to bother you!

Amanda said...

Goal is Pike's Peak.

Bea said...

Will you be doing this again for 2016?

Bev Hankins said...

Bea: Most definitely! I will post new sign ups for any challenges I sponsor towards the end of October/beginning of November.

Jamie Ghione said...

Ok, I've reached 24 and will call it done for the year, even though I have a lot more books to be read!
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2014/11/2015-mount-tbr-reading-challenge.html

Unknown said...

Obat Polip Gigi Berlubang
Obat Gendang Telinga Pecah Anak
Obat Sering Kencing Di Pagi Hari
Obat Sembelit Pada Bayi Dan Anak
Obat Gusi Bengkak Dan Bernanah Anak
Obat Pemulihan Pasca Kuret
Obat Radang Usus Buntu Anak
Obat Polip Gusi
Obat Bisul Di Payudara Ibu Menyusui
Obat Bisul Di Kepala Anak