Thursday, November 17, 2011

Wishlist Challenge 2012.

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Yep. I found another one. Couldn't you at least pretend to be surprised? The Wishlist Challenge is a new challenge that I know I absolutely need, and I bet you do, too.
There are several challenges that ask you to read books you already own, they are generally called TBR challenges. And as anyone who has signed up for my own Mount TBR Challenge knows I have oodles of those books lying around. BUT I also have a huge list of To Be Read Books on my wishlist. Books that I come across out here in the interwebs or listed in the backs of other books that I like or suggested by friends or whatever...that I just have to read sometime so it goes down on the list. And then I don't read it for whatever reason. Well, this challenge will help me take care of that little problem...or at least part of it.
So here’s the wishlist challenge:
Read 12 books (one for every month of the year) that you would like to read, but don’t already have on your shelves.

Rules

1. The challenge runs from January 1st, 2012 to December 31st, 2012.
2. You are to read 12 books from your current wishlist. If you don’t have a list anywhere, write down books that you are eager to read, that you don’t own yet, and choose 12 books off that list.
3. If you can’t find a book that’s on your wishlist (your library doesn’t have it, or you don’t want/can’t buy it) then you can use another book. But: you are not allowed to include any NEWLY added books for this challenge. So, whatever your list is now, that’s it.
I.e. you can’t read amazing things about a book on someone else’s blog, decide you want to read it, then read it for the Wishlist Challenge.
4. You can overlap with other challenges, as long as you read books that were on your wishlist before January 1st, 2012.
Sound good? Want to know more? Then hop on over to Leeswamme's blog (link above) and get the full details.
Judith is promising honor and glory that will shine on everyone who finishes!
Here's my list:
1. The War of the Worlds Murder by Max Allan Collins (4/19/12)
2. Nantucket Soap Opera by S. F. X. Dean (3/20/12)
3. A Slip of the Tong by Charles Goodrum (6/3/12)
4. The Gemini Man by Susan Kelly (4/15/12)
5. The Curious Cape Cod Skull by Marie Lee (3/21/12)
6. The Doctor Dines in Prague by Robin Hathaway (3/12/12)
7. Murder Most Puzzling by Lillian S. Robinson (10/23/12)
8. A Good Death by Elizabeth Ironside (3/28/12)
9. The Anatomy of Ghosts by Andrew Taylor (9/30/12)
11. The Lady in the Loch by Elizabeth Scarborough (5/23/12)
12. Lake of Sorrows by Erin Hart (10/14/12)

Complete!!! 10/23/12

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know any of the books, but some of the titles sound very interesting!

Good luck with the challenge!

Yvonne said...

I love this one. I'll have to take a look at it over the weekend. Maybe I'll sign up too. Good luck with it!

Marce said...

Oh I love this one too. My LibraryThing Wishlist is out of control. I do like when I read books from it.

I should join this one. 12 books, hmmmm :-)

Lianne said...

Count me out on this one. I signed up for those tbr challenges for a very good reason. :P This challenge would be bad news for my goals.

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

Wow! Over 1,200 mystery books? That's my idea of heaven. I only have about 40 mystery books, but I do regularly borrow from the library too. Definitely love some mystery reading :)

Yvette said...

You are incorrigible, Bev. Ha!

I haven't read any of these. Looks like I'll have to do some investigating...

Jenners said...

How is this a challenge? Isn't it just an invitation to buy books??? My husband would kill me if I joined this one!! HAHA!

Debbie Rodgers said...

"If I don't have a wish list" - HAH! Mine has over 600 titles on it (in an Excel speadsheet); I'm thinking of blogging about that.

My husband would also flip his lid if I wanted to buy 12 new books, Mrs. J., but I'm thinking I could get them from the library...

Thanks for bringing this challenge to my attention, Bev!

Bev Hankins said...

Jenners--Debbie's right. I won't be buying the books on this list. These can all be found at the library. Of course, that isn't to say that I won't be buying books next year.....

Carol said...

Stop it, Bev. Just stop it. Now you've got me looking at other challenges, and this one sounds too good to pass up. Just the other day I was looking at my list of books and thinking I need to pare it down a bit. I suppose this would accomplish that goal, in part.

Bev Hankins said...

Carol...I'm sorry. But I can't. I've joined a support group and everything (Reading Challenge Addicts Anon) but it doesn't help. Actually, I think we just egg each other on--and Gina and I seem to be in a competition to outdo each other on number of challenges. :-)